Maple Syrup Resource
Information on Maple Syrup, our featured food/natural sweetener at our upcoming Grow Cook Learn session!
Include as a Part of a Healthy Diet
- 1 serving= 1 tablespoon
- Natural energy source that is free of artificial colours
- Excellent source of many vitamins to add a boost of health to your cooking, eg. Manganese, Vitamin B2, and Zinc
- Contains many antioxidant compounds, protecting our cells from oxidative damage from free radicals
- Syrup tapped at start of the season is lighter in colour and taste
- Becomes more caramelized and darker as season progresses
- Grade A Light is great for salad vinaigrette dressings
- Grade A Medium and Dark are great on pancakes
- Grade B is great in cocktails when substituting out simple syrup
- Any colour of syrup will work in most recipes
- Switch liquid sweetener (honey, molasses, corn syrup, agave syrup) for maple syrup using a 1:1 ratio
- When substituting the white or brown sugar, use 2/3 cup maple syrup for 1 cup sugar, also decrease other liquids in the recipe by ¼ of a cup and turn the oven down 25° from the listed temperature
Unopened containers of maple syrup can be kept in a cool, dry place for up to a year.
Once opened, keep it in the refrigerator for up to a year.
Maple syrup can be stored in the freezer to preserve the great maple flavour for even longer.