10 ways to use fresh blueberries (from Metro News)
Link to Article on Metro News
- Cheese topper: Simmer 1 cup blueberries with 1 tablespoon sugar and a dash of hot sauce. When the blueberries have broken down and thickened, pour over a room temperature round of brie. Serve with baguette slices or crackers.
- Vinaigrette: Add a handful of blueberries to a blender with a 3:1 ratio of oil and vinegar (balsamic or red wine would be good), as well as a hit of salt and pepper. Blend until mostly smooth.
- Sweet and chilly snack: Follow the method above for freezing, but instead of drying the washed berries, roll them in coarse sugar, then freeze. Eat them as is for a sweet treat.
- Compote: Saute 1 finely diced yellow onion in a bit of butter. Add 1 cup blueberries, a bit of grated fresh ginger and a splash of hot sauce. Simmer until the berries pop, reduce and begin to thicken. Season with ample black pepper and a pinch of salt and ground cumin. Spoon over grilled pork chops or pork tenderloin.
- Creamed: Mound fresh berries in a bowl, then drizzle with heavy cream. Follow that by a drizzle of maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Cordial: Bring 1 cup of blueberries and 1/2 cup of sugar to a simmer and cook until the berries are broken down and thickened. Strain through a mesh strainer, discarding any solids. Divide the mixture between 4 tumblers. Add ice, then top with vodka or gin.
- Grain salad: Toss fresh blueberries with cooked and cooled quinoa or farro, diced cucumber, fresh mint and minced red onion. Drizzle with a lemon vinaigrette and top with slivered almonds.
- Spread: Mix together 1/4 cup slightly mashed blueberries, chopped scallions and about 1/2 cup mayonnaise. Use as a sandwich spread for a grilled chicken wrap.
- Salsa: In a processor, finely mince 1 red onion, 1 jalapeno pepper and a handful of fresh cilantro. Add 1 cup fresh blueberries, a splash of olive oil, the juice of 1/2 lemon (or more, to taste). Pulse until the blueberries are just chopped, then season with salt and pepper. Serve with blue corn tortilla chips.
- Cornbread: Add blueberries to your favourite savory cornbread recipe.