Aeration is known as the process that is used to remove “plugs” of soil from your garden. Aerating creates spaces for air, water and nutrients for the soil. This process is proven to be essential for plants and the compacted soil. Aeration is also essential to reduce thatch problems
Warning Signs that you need to Aerate
- Worn areas where people walk often
- Water puddles after irrigating
- Water runs off after only a few minutes of watering
- Beds that just can’t seem to keep moist
- When aerating you should always strive for 3 to 4 inches
- When the soil is heavy clay, it stays compacted so it is important to aerate to help improve the water penetration.
- Compacted areas is where the water tends to puddle and create an issue
Why is it Important to Aerate?
- Aeration improves the flow of water
- Encourages plants to root more deeply, promoting healthier growth and greater drought tolerance
- Controls thatch by increasing the activity of micro organisms that help in decomposition
Best time to Aerate
The best time to aerate is during growing season.
How to Aerate?
- MAKE SURE YOUR SOIL IS MOIST ENOUGH FOR AERATION
- The soil plugs that are found from the garden should be given time to dry and then they should be broken up
- When you are finished, you can improve your garden by top dressing with 5mm of compost, by covering over the turf with the compost to loosely fill the aeration holes
” Aeration: Why, How & When to Aerate Your Lawn | Briggs & Stratton Lawn Care.” Lawn Mower Parts & Small Engine Parts by Briggs & Stratton. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 July 2013. <http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/maintenance-how-to/lawn-care/aeration-why-how-and-when-to-aerate-your-lawn>.
Gratton, Stephen Wescott . “Should you aerate your lawn? – Canadian Gardening.” Canadian Gardening – Your Source for Gardening Information. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 July 2013. <http://www.canadiangardening.com/how-to/lawn-care/should-you-aerate-your-lawn/a/21616>.
“How to Aerate your lawn and why we do it: Grass Clippings.” Grass Clippings. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 July 2013. <http://www.grassclippings.co.uk/grassclippings/how-to-aerate-your-lawn-a.html>.
Walheim, Lance. “How to Aerate Your Lawn – For Dummies .” How-To Help and Videos – For Dummies . N.p., n.d. Web. 17 July 2013. <http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-aerate-your-lawn.html>.