Zesty Refrigerated Pickles
- 1 -3 quart basket of pickling cucumbers, cleaned and cut into 1/8” slices
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp. Kosher salt (NOT table salt)
- 2 ½ cups cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups white vinegar
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp. whole mustard seed per jar
- ½ tsp. celery seed per jar
- ½ tsp. black peppercorns per jar
- Make sure the jars are very clean
- Into each jar, add the whole mustard seed, celery seed, and black peppercorns
- Mix the onions and cucumbers and salt and place in a large colander or sieve. Allow to sit for 2 or 3 hours and drain.
- In a saucepan, mix the sugar and vinegar with turmeric. Heat to boiling to make sure sugar is dissolved.
- Fill jars with the cucumbers and onions. Pack them fairly tightly.
- Pour the hot liquid over and put the lids on.
- Let them sit on the counter until they are room temperature. Refrigerate for at least a week before eating. They will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of months, or they can be processed in a water bath to store for longer. These pickles aren’t as sweet as commercial bread and butter pickles, so if you prefer a sweeter taste, add more sugar to the brine.