Springtime Risotto with Asparagus and Peas
- 1 ½ cups short grain white rice (Arborio, carnaroli etc.)
- 4-5 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp. cold butter, cubed
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups asparagus, cleaned, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- salt and pepper
- In a small pan with a bit of oil, sauté asparagus just until tender-crisp.
- Add peas, toss for a minute and set aside.
- Heat stock and turn down heat to keep it just simmering.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat butter and oil.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add rice and stir until rice is coated with oil and shiny.
- Pour in white wine and allow to reduce until almost dry.
- Add stock, a couple of ladles at a time, and stir until liquid is almost absorbed.
- Add more liquid and continue until rice is cooked but still retaining its’ shape.
- Add butter, parmesan and vegetables.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- If desired, add chopped parsley, grated lemon rind, chopped mint, etc.This recipe is very versatile, and can be adapted to almost any vegetable.