- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, cleaned and finely sliced
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, grated finely
- 2 lbs. baby spinach, washed and dried
- ¼ cup finely chopped dill
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp. finely grated lemon zest
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pkg. fresh or frozen phyllo dough (thawed)
1 cup of whole milk Greek yogurt or yogurt that has been drained in a cheesecloth-lined sieve overnight.
1 clove garlic, finely grated
1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh dill (More if you like more dill)
½ English cucumber, grated, salted and drained well for at least 1 hour.
1 finely chopped shallot or 2 tbsp. finely chopped onion or scallions (Add to cucumber to drain)
1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan and add shallot, scallions, garlic and dill. Saute for a minute or two and add the spinach. Cook just until the spinach wilts and drain in a colander or sieve.
- Place mixture in a clean tea towel or square of cheesecloth, and twist to extract as much moisture as you can.
- In a bowl, combine feta, ricotta, eggs, lemon zest and nutmeg. Add pepper but not salt, as the feta will season the mixture.
- Stir in the well-drained spinach mixture and set aside.
- Unwrap the phyllo and cover with a damp towel. Lay one sheet on the board and brush with melted butter. Lay another sheet on top and repeat.
- Cut the sheet lengthwise into 2” strips.
- Place a generous ½ tsp. of filling in the corner of each strip.
- Fold the corner up to make a triangle and continue to fold until you reach the end of the strip.
- Place the triangles on a baking sheet covered with parchment and brush lightly with butter.
- Repeat until filling is used up or the desired number of triangles are completed.
- The triangles may be frozen at this stage or baked.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake until the triangles are golden brown and crispy.
- They may be re-heated briefly or served at room temperature.
- Tzatziki sauce is optional.
Mix ingredients, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
The flavour improves if the sauce can sit for a few hours in the refrigerator.