From David Leibovitz
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced or grated
- 1 chili pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely diced OR dried chili flakes to taste
- 1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. finely ground pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds, crushed
- ¾ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. red wine or cider vinegar
- 1 cup washed, dried and coarsely chopped greens (spinach, swiss chard, etc.)
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled or cubed
- 4-6 eggs
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add chile pepper, salt, pepper and spices and cook until spices are fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, honey and vinegar.
- Reduce heat and cook for about 15 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Stir in greens.
- Turn off heat and press cubes of feta into the tomato mixture.
- With a large serving spoon, make indentation for each egg.
- Place an egg in each indentation, and turn on the heat to a simmer and conver or place the pan in a 375 degree oven for 3-5 minutes or until whites are set and and yolks are still liquid.
- Serve with challah bread or baguette.