- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Peel, wash and dry a variety of root vegetables. The ones that worked best for us were sweet potatoes, parsnips and turnips. The carrots didn’t get really crisp, but they tasted good.
- Using a mandolin or a good knife, slice thinly (about 1/16 to 1/8-inch). Safety tip: use a guard with your mandolin to protect your fingers.
- Place the sliced vegetables in a bowl and toss with just enough oil (we used extra virgin olive oil) to lightly coat them. Start with a little; you can always add more.
- Spread the slices on the parchment-lined baking sheets and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn over the chips and bake for another 15 minutes. Cool before serving. As the chips cool, they will continue to get crisper.