Old Fashioned Rhubarb Pudding Cake
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp. soft butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- OPTIONAL: 1 tbsp. orange liqueur
For 8” or 9” pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- On bottom of pan, spread out about 2 cups chopped rhubarb.
- If desired add about 1-2 tsp. grated orange rind
- Beat butter and sugar together
- Add egg and beat until fluffy
- In a small bowl, mix 1 cup all-purpose flour with baking powder and salt.
- Measure milk, vanilla and liqueur into a cup.
- Alternate additions of flour and milk to butter, sugar mix (Always begin and end with flour, usually 3 additions of flour and 2 of milk)
- Spread batter over rhubarb.
- In the flour bowl, mix 1 cup sugar with 1 tbsp. cornstarch and spread evenly over batter.
- Over the whole mixture, carefully pour 2/3 cup boiling water.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the cake rises to top and you can see the rhubarb bubbling around the sides.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.