- 2 pounds of chicken or turkey thighs with skin and bone-in
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, roughly chopped (use leaves, as well)
- 4 or 5 sprigs of thyme
- 1 or 2 stalks of rosemary
- olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Chicken stock
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 4 tbsp. flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Season fowl with salt and pepper. Place in shallow roasting pan with vegetables and herbs. Toss with 2 tbsp. olive oil and roast for about 45 minutes or until chicken is browned and cooked through.
- Remove from oven. Set aside chicken for another use.
- Heat vegetables and drippings on stove-top, stirring constantly until vegetables are caramelized.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture and whisk to combine thoroughly and cook the flour.
- Add chicken stock and cook for about 5 minutes or until sauce is smooth and no taste of flour remains. Taste and adjust seasonings. Gravy should be fairly thick, as drippings from the turkey will be added. Strain through a sieve and allow to cool.
- Store in zip-lock bags until needed. Make sure the bags are in another container until they are completely frozen to eliminate damage from leaking.