- 2 or 3 cups dried pasta, prepared according to package directions.
- 3 cups Roasted Tomato sauce
- 2 balls fresh mozzarella torn in small pieces or 2 cups grated regular mozzarella cheese.
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 small bag baby spinach or kale
- 1 clove garlic, grated or minced
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- In a sauté pan or frying pan, heat oil. Add garlic, and heat briefly.
- Add washed spinach (or kale or swiss chard, chopped) and sauté until wilted.
- Let cool a bit and squeeze in a kitchen towel to remove water.
- Combine with ricotta and add beaten egg, 2 tbsp. of the Parmesan, salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In deep casserole dish, spread a layer of tomato sauce. Top with a layer of pasta, and more tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with half of mozzarella.
- Add another layer of pasta and top with ricotta mixture.
- Top with another layer of pasta, sprinkle with mozzarella and cover with tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle the rest of the Parmesan on top.
- Cover with parchment paper and aluminum foil and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake for about 20 more minutes or until the top is crusty and brown around the edges.
- Allow to sit for about 20-30 minutes before serving.