- 6 cups chopped green tomatoes (A food processor can be used)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- ½ green pepper, diced
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. pickling salt
- 2 tsp. pickling spice
- The recipe calls for blanching the tomatoes and peeling them, but you can make the relish with the skins on.
- Measure chopped tomatoes into a large stainless steel pot.
- Add the rest of the vegetables.
- Stir in vinegar, sugar, salt and wrap the spices in a square of cheesecloth. Drop it into the mixture.
- Heat to boiling and reduce heat to keep it just at a boil.
- Stir occasionally and cook for about 2 or 3 hours.
- Ladle sauce into prepared jars and process in a water bath.