- Put dry ingredients (flour, yeast, salt) in large bowl and stir together.
- Add warm water and syrup and stir to make very sticky dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and put it aside for 14-24 hours.
- Uncover and stir the mixture down. Replace cover and let it rest for an additional hour.
- While dough is resting for its final hour, heat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Place pot that will cook the bread in oven WHILE EMPTY to heat for about an hour.
- Carefully remove pot from oven. You may brush it with just a bit of oil (peanut or grapeseed oil)
- Scrape the bread mixture into the pot and put the lid on.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered. Remove lid and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes uncovered.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
- This mixture can be baked in a regular oiled bread pan. The loaf pan doesn’t need to be pre-heated.
This recipe is very flexible. If I want a very tall loaf, I sometimes use 1 extra cup of flour and a little more water. The consistency should be gooey, but not runny.
If you want a more interesting texture, add 1 cup of seven-grain cereal or rolled oats instead of the whole wheat. I happen to like bread a little on the sweet side, so adjust the amount of sweetener to suit your own taste.