- 1 cup garlic washed and chopped
- 4 tbsp. pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Process the scapes for a few seconds, and then add the sunflower seeds (or your nuts of choice)
- Pulse until finely chopped and scrape sides of bowl.
- Add oil and process until well combined
- Add cheese and pulse for a few seconds, just until combined.
(if you process it too long, the heat will begin to melt the cheese and make the mixture gummy)
- Add basil and lemon juice and process for a few seconds.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Store in a glass jar or freeze in ice cube trays.
- When storing pesto, increase the lifespan by covering the top surface with oil. This prevents the basil from oxidizing.