- Wash and cut the tomatoes. If you have time, sprinkle them with a little salt, and lay flat on paper towel to remove a bit of the moisture.
- Make a breading station:
In 3 open bowls or deep plates,
- Season the flour with a little salt and pepper.
- Beat the egg and add buttermilk.
- Mix Panko crumbs, Parmesan and a little salt and pepper
- Bread the tomatoes, by dipping each one, first in the flour, then buttermilk, and then Panko mixture.
- Heat oil, such as grapeseed or peanut oil over medium heat in a skillet until a drop of water sizzles.
- Fry tomatoes, a few at a time until golden brown on both sides.
- Place on paper towels or a rack on a cooking sheet in a 200 degree oven for a few minutes until all are fried.
NOTE: This isn’t a dish that will keep for hours! The tomatoes can be breaded ahead of time, and kept refrigerated for a couple of hours, but once they are fried, the need to be served!
- Serve with a dip of ranch dressing, if desired