Easy Homemade Pizza Dough
- 1 tsp. dry yeast
- 1 tsp. sugar or honey
- ¼ cup warm water (a little warmer than body temp.)
- 1 cup warm water – see above
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cups flour (bread flour or all-purpose) (you can use half whole-wheat)
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- In a larger mixer bowl, combine ¼ cup warm water with sugar or honey. Sprinkle yeast over top, and allow to sit for about 10 minutes. The yeast will begin to ‘bloom’. It will rise to the top and get foamy and emit a ‘yeasty odour’.
- NOTE: If this doesn’t occur after about 10 minutes, and you are sure your water was not too hot, discard the yeast as it’s no longer viable.
- If you use pizza yeast or instant yeast, you can just mix the yeast with the flour.
- Add the warm water, oil and 3 cups of flour.
- Add salt and mix well with a stand mixer or a wooden spoon.
- Dough should be soft, but not sticky. If it sticks to your hands or the bowl, add a bit of flour at a time.
- If it seems too stiff, make a little hole in the center and add a bit of water at a time.
- This is the part the kids love to help with!!
- Put a little flour on the board and knead the mixture until it is smooth and has some elasticity ( it snaps back when you pull it)
- Oil a clean bowl, form the dough into a ball and place in the bowl. Roll it around to oil all the surface. Cover and leave it for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- While you are waiting, get the toppings ready and heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- After the dough has doubled in size, ‘punch’ it down. (kids love this part, too!)
- Divide it in half. Let it rest for a few minutes and stretch it out to the desired shapes and sizes.
- Sprinkle a little cornmeal on a cookie sheet or a pizza stone and transfer the pizza dough to the pan. Brush it with olive oil and top as desired.
- Place it in the bottom rack in your oven and bake until the dough is browned, and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow it to rest for a few minutes before cutting.