- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. grated ginger (optional)
- 6 medium-sized carrots, washed and peeled
- 1 liter of vegetable or chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup 18 % or heavy cream
- In a heavy saucepan, heat oil and butter. Add onions and sauté until transparent. Add carrots, herbs, vegetable stock, a little salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil and reduce to just above a simmer and cook until the carrots are very tender.
- Remove the herbs and purée the mixture until smooth in a blender or using an immersion blender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Add cream and stir to blend.
- Soup is delicious garnished with a dollop of sour cream and/or the carrot top pesto.
- S. If a velvety smooth texture is desired, strain the soup through a fine mesh strainer.