Preparing the Pumpkin
- Cut 2 small pie pumpkins in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the pumpkins cut side down in 350 degree oven for about an hour or until pumpkins are soft.
- Allow to cool until it can be easily handled.
- Scoop out the pulp and mash with a potato masher, food mill or in a food processor until smooth.
- Line a mesh sieve with cheesecloth or a coffee filter and place over a bowl.
- Scrape the pureed pumpkin into the cheesecloth and allow to drain for a few hours.
- You can do several pumpkins at a time. Scoop 1 cup portions into freezer bags. Push out the air and lay flat. Pumpkin freezes well and is great for muffins, breads, and, of course, pumpkin pie.
Pumpkin Pie Filling Ingredients
- 2 cups pumpkin puree or the contents of 1 – 14 oz. can.
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger (1/2 tsp. if using ground ginger)
- pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 can of Carnation milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Mix the pumpkin, sugar, and spices together until smooth and well-blended.
- Add eggs and whisk until smooth.
- Add evaporated milk and mix well.
- Pour into large pie shell.
- Makes a 10” pie.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes and lower heat to 325 degrees for about 45 minutes. After that, check frequently, to see if the pie is just set.