Blueberry-Lime Shortbread Squares
- 1 cup room-temperature butter
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 lime (or lemon), finely grated zest
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups fresh blueberries, washed and drained
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2-3 tbsp.)
- 1 cup reserved crust mixture
- 1 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans Walnuts can be substituted if pecans are not on hand.
- Butter an 8” square pan and line with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add crust ingredients to large bowl of food processor and pulse until mixture becomes coarse crumbs.
- Alternately, place butter and sugar in bowl, and beat until fluffy. Add lime or lemon zest and half of the flour mixture. Stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon until mixture is crumbly.
- Remove 1 cup of mixture and press the rest into the prepared pan.
- To the 1 cup of crust mixture, add melted butter and chopped nuts, and mix together. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together sugar and cornstarch. Add lime juice and combine well.
- Toss with blueberries until all are coated.
- Mash lightly with a fork or potato masher until some juice is released.
- Spread filling over crust evenly.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over blueberries, and press in very lightly.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 1 hour or until all of the blueberry mixture is bubbly and topping golden brown. Remove and allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.