Beet, Plum and Goat Cheese Salad
- 12 2-inch diameter beets, washed and tops trimmed
- 1 ½ lbs. ripe but still firm plums, pitted and cut into ½ inch pieces.
- 1 medium red onion, finely sliced
- About 10 oz. baby arugula or spinach
- 8 oz. soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tsp. finely grated orange zest
- Juice of ½ fresh orange
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. walnut oil (optional)
- 3 tbsp. light flavoured oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wrap beets tightly in foil and roast in a 375 degree oven on a baking sheet until tender. (This can take from 1 ½ to 2 hours)
- Unwrap beets and allow to cool. Remove skins and cut into quarters or rounds. Place in large bowl.
- Combine dressing ingredients in jar. Shake well and taste. Adjust seasonings.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle onions with a tbsp. of dressing and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Toss beets with 2 tbsp. dressing.
- Toss plums with dressing in a separate bowl.
- Sprinkle salad greens with dressing.
- Arrange beets around edge of small platter.
- Mound greens in center.
- Top with plums and onions and sprinkle with goat cheese and serve.