- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (approx.) buttermilk (shaken well) or Kefir at a milk-like consistency
- 2 tbsp. oil of your choice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup or honey (optional, adds sweetness)
- Fruit, chocolate chips to suit your tastes!
- Whisk dry ingredients together.
- Whisk 1 ½ cups buttermilk or kefir, eggs, oil, vanilla and sweetener together and add to dry ingredient mixture. Mix just until blended and adjust thickness of batter by adding more buttermilk or kefir, a little at a time, depending on the thickness of the pancakes you prefer. The batter will thicken as the mixture sits.
- Heat frying pan over medium high heat and brush bottom of pan with grapeseed, coconut or peanut oil. (These oils have a high smokepoint meaning they don’t burn or change chemically over higher heat)
- Ladle batter into pan to make desired size and shape and watch carefully. Adjust the heat to keep pancakes from burning.
- When bubbles form on top and begin to break around the edges, you can sprinkle blueberries, sliced bananas or whatever you like.
- Turn pancakes when bubbles break, and cook just until bottom is brown.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup.