Baked Vegetables with Mushroom Stuffing
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped mushrooms
- A few sprigs of thyme, tied in a bundle
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 medium onion or 2 leeks, cleaned and finely chopped
- 1 or 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup of toasted bread crumbs (I use Panko)
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, sauté mushrooms in 2 tbsp. oil with thyme bundle until they have released most of their moisture. Season with salt and pepper and the lemon juice and scrape into a large bowl. Remove thyme bundle.
- Add rest of oil and sauté the onions or leeks until translucent and add the garlic.
- Add the tomatoes and heat through.
- Scrape into bowl and add bread crumbs, cheese and eggs.
- If mixture seems dry, moisten with some white wine or broth.
- Prepare a variety of vegetables, such as peppers, zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, onions. Cut peppers into 3 or 4 pieces each.
- Cut zucchini, tomatoes and eggplant in half and scrape out seedy parts in the middle.
- Toss in a large bowl with oil, salt and pepper and arrange on a parchment covered tray.
- Fill with stuffing and place in a 375 degree oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. Check and remove the ones that are tender-crisp and continue cooking the rest for a few minutes.
- If desired, you can sprinkle a little parmesan cheese and place vegetables under the broiler until browned.
- This recipe works just as well for just one vegetable of your choosing.