Baked Egg Rolls with Chinese Plum Sauce
- 1 tbsp. grapeseed oil (or other high heat tolerant oil)
- 1 lb. ground lean pork
- 3 finely chopped green onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup finely grated savoy cabbage
- ½ cup chopped water chestnuts
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 cup well-washed mung bean or edamame sprouts
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. water
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- 12 large egg-roll wrappers
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 8 cups halved, pitted plums.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves minced or grated garlic
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. allspice
- In large skillet, brown pork over medium-high heat, breaking up with a spoon.
- Add onions, garlic, and other vegetables. Cook over medium heat until onions are softened.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, cornstarch, water, sesame oil and pepper.
- Make a space in the middle of the pan and pour in the sauce. Toss well and cook for a minute or two to cook out the starchy taste.
- Allow to cool.
- Forming 1 roll at a time, place wrapper on work surface, brush with water. Spoon 2 or 3 tbsp. mixture on bottom third, leaving 1 inch borders. Pull bottom edge over filling and roll up. Pinch ends to seal.
- Place rolls, seam side down, on rimmed baking sheet, lined with parchment.
- Brush with oil.
- Bake in 375 degree oven until crisp and golden.
- If you are making vegetable rolls, omit the pork. Tofu can be substituted.
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring plums, onions, water, ginger and garlic to boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until plums and onions are very tender (about 30 minutes)
- Press through a coarse sieve or food mill and return to clean pan.
- Stir in sugar, vinegar and spices. Bring to a boil, stirring.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until mixture reaches consistency of applesauce, about 45 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings and sweetness.
- Cool, fill containers and freeze.